Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Final Reflection

Looking back at the 12 weeks we had, it definitely had been accompanied with a huge load of work. With the hectic schedule, the amount of work could have overwhelmed us to actually overlook the valuable lessons that were meant to be imparted. Doing a final reflection like this initiates us to ponder through the course and the valuable lessons that come with each assignment.

Reflecting back to my initial expectations of this course, I wanted to become a better communicator and specifically a better presenter. I must acknowledge the skills I have encountered and developed to better understand communication which was the intention of my decision to study this course. The communications skills transcends from verbal context to letters and emails, a very comprehensive learning process. As I have stated that my perception of communication at the beginning of the class was one that was very complex especially if it comes to effective communication, there are countless considerations to bear in mind. Now that I have gone through the 12 week long course, effective communications is still perceived to be very complex, the big difference is that I can confidently say that I am a more effective communicator.

I believe the true value of this course comes from the meticulous evaluations and feedbacks that were given to us. I thought that this was the best way to learn from our mistakes. Look at the countless assignments that we have done during our time in NUS, the only form of evaluation we had was the grades we got. Even though I have had presentations and report writings in the past, I felt the impact from this course with respect to the suggested way to go about doing it, not the contents in detail but rather the way the contents could have been delivered.

With that, I would like to thank Mr. Blackstone and classmates for your comments and feedback that attributed greatly to my learning in this course.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Terrence,
    I had a great time working with you for the group project and presentation. From our conversation, I learnt that you do have a great interest in setting up your own business. Perhaps, you can consider this option as on of your career options.I concur with you that the schedule for this module is quite packed but this is to ensure that all the useful communication and writing skills are all taught to us. I believed that all of us had learnt to be better communicators after this interesting module. Besides, I agree with you that this module really provides lots for useful feedback for the works that we contributed. All this is not possible without our hardworking Instructor. I could see that Brad had really put in lots of effort to read all our reports and resume and provided us with lots of constructive and valuable advice and comments. Anyway, I wish you all the best for your job application. Let's keep in touch via sms or facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Terence, for all your work as an active participant in this course. I realize that the load of assignments becomes a bit overwhelming. (Oh man do I know!) But as you point out, this is a process-based endeavor, and the only way to approach the many skill-focused tasks is through lots of practice. It's a bit like a sport, actually.

    In any case, I appreciate how you worked hard this term, both on your team and as a soloist. I also wish you the best of luck as you continue your lifelong learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terry,

    Thanks for all the harwork you have put in for our project, it had definitely been a great experience working with you. Yes, will keep in touch, I wish you all te best in your future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sir,

    I totally understand and have experienced the effectiveness of the style of teaching adopted for this module. I really want to thank you for being very sincere and approachable which created a very conducive learnign environment. The reason I say so is because you gave credit to all our comments and never once rejected or disregarded our comments which really motivated us to speak up and share in class. In my our modules, I would be very hesitant to speak up and would only do so if I am confident enough about the quality of my comments but in your class, I do not have to go through the self-mental evalution or at least less critically before I gave my comments. That I believed had been influenced by you, and I really want to thank you for the impact you have brought to our lives. Sir, all the best to you and may your life stay as beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Terence!

    You know what, I also thought of improving my presenting skills when I bid for this module! Little did I know that all the assignments were such a pain in the you-know-where!

    I think presenting skills are very important for science students as well. As what everyone has been saying, the market is saturated with science graduates. In order to be ahead of the rest, I think it is the way you present yourself that puts you at the front. Academics wise, is only one small factor.

    All the best in your life man! How does it feel now that you're graduating?

    CK

    P/S: Oh yes, it was a decoy =p

    ReplyDelete